NUSA DUA, Indonesia (Reuters) – U.S. President Joe Biden mentioned on Monday he and his Chinese language counterpart Xi Jinping had held blunt talks over an array of points, together with Taiwan and North Korea, forward of Group of 20 (G20) talks anticipated to be dominated by the Ukraine battle.
BIDEN AND XI
* The assembly forward of the G20 summit, being held on Tuesday and Wednesday on the Indonesian island of Bali, was their first in-person talks since Biden turned president.
* In a press release after their assembly, Xi known as Taiwan the “first purple line” that should not be crossed in U.S.-China relations, Chinese language state media mentioned. Biden mentioned U.S. coverage on Taiwan was unchanged.
* Biden mentioned he had instructed Xi that Beijing has an obligation to attempt to discuss North Korea out of resuming nuclear testing.
* Biden mentioned the 2 sides arrange a mechanism for extra frequent communications and that Secretary of State Antony Blinken would journey to China to comply with up on discussions. “I believe we perceive one another,” Biden mentioned.
* The 2 leaders agreed to permit senior officers to resume communication on local weather, debt aid and different points, the White Home mentioned after they spoke, providing a lift to behind-schedule negotiations on the COP27 local weather summit in Egypt.
RUSSIA AND UKRAINE
* Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has mentioned he’ll deal with the G20 gathering by videolink on Tuesday.
* Russian Overseas Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday dismissed a information company report that he had been taken to hospital with a coronary heart situation after arriving in Bali for the summit, scolding Western journalists for what he forged as false reporting.
* British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will name on the G20 for coordinated motion to deal with worldwide financial instability and the rising price of residing, his authorities mentioned. Sunak is about to carry talks with Biden and Lavrov.
* Australia Prime Minister Anthony Albanese mentioned he would maintain a bilateral assembly with Xi on Tuesday. Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida may even meet Xi on Tuesday.
* Elon Musk addressed a enterprise discussion board on the sidelines of the summit on Monday and mentioned he was working “from morning til night time, seven days per week” when requested about his acquisition of Twitter and management of Tesla.
* Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman left Saudi Arabia on Monday to attend the summit and can go to different Asian states, state media mentioned, with out specifying which nations.
* Indonesia, which holds the G20 presidency, has strict protocols in place for the talks. The Nusa Dua district internet hosting the summit has been underneath lockdown since Nov. 11 and can stay so till Nov. 17.