It was arrange in 2010 by the European Committee of the Areas (CoR) along with territorial associations energetic on this context permitting elected representatives from the three shores of the Mediterranean Sea to:
- signify their native and regional authorities politically, together with in the direction of the EU and the Union for the Mediterranean (Uf M)
- preserve political dialogue and
- promote interregional cooperation
That are the nations concerned?
Egypt, Turkey, Algeria, Morocco, Syria (membership at present suspended), Tunisia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Palestine, Monaco, Montenegro. As well as, Libya participates as observer.
What is the intention of ARLEM?
ARLEM goals to:
- give a territorial dimension to the Union for the Mediterranean
- promote native democracy, multi-level governance and decentralised cooperation across the three shores of the Mediterranean
- encourage North-South and South-South dialogue between native and regional authorities
- promote the change of greatest observe, information and technical expertise within the areas for which native and regional authorities are accountable
- promote regional integration and cohesion
How does ARLEM function?
Politically, ARLEM supplies a discussion board for ongoing political dialogue. It contributes to the CoR’s consultative works by way of thematic reviews. It additionally represents the native and regional degree at UfM summits.
In its work, ARLEM creates synergies with its companions, together with the UfM (Declaration of Intent signed in 2013), the European LRA associations who’re represented in ARLEM, the Congress of Native and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe (observer standing), the Parliamentary Meeting of the UfM (observer standing), the European Coaching Basis (Declaration of Intent signed in 2013) and the European Financial and Social Committee (observer standing).
The Meeting brings collectively ARLEM members at its annual plenary session, in the middle of which the thematic reviews are adopted, and for Fee and Bureau conferences. As well as, particular workshops or conferences could also be organised and particular features deepened by way of research.
How is ARLEM composed?
ARLEM brings collectively 80 members and a couple of observers from the EU and its Mediterranean companion nations. Members are representatives of areas and native our bodies and maintain a regional or native authority mandate.
ARLEM is chaired by a co-presidency representing equally the Mediterranean companions and the EU. The co-president from the Mediterranean companions’ group is confirmed by consensus by that group for a interval of two and a half years.
The ARLEM Bureau defines the Meeting’s technique and vary of actions.
Inside the Fee for Sustainable Territorial Growth, ARLEM rapporteurs elaborate thematic reviews on matters referring to the fields of:
- city and territorial improvement
- cultural cooperation
- the knowledge society
- migration and integration
- small and medium-sized enterprises
- sustainable improvement
- water administration
- waste administration
- power, notably photo voltaic power
- agriculture and tourism
- and so forth.