A tea picker wearing a brilliant and vibrant sari turns and waves at you. Swiftly, you hear the deep laughter of close by youngsters and the light chatter of passengers. Your nostrils then decide up the scent of scrumptious deep-fried lentil snacks and candy tea.
The Ella to Kandy practice gently rocks because it rounds a bend, the comforting sound lulling you into a cheerful silence.
The fact is that Sri Lanka’s Ella to Kandy practice trip would possibly simply be one of many world’s biggest railway journeys! And it’s an expertise that defiantly awaits you…
On this journey tip, we’ll share:
• One of the best time to go to Sri Lanka
• The way to get to Ella
• One of the best issues to do in Ella
• The way to get tickets for the Ella to Kandy practice
• One of the best issues to see on the Ella to Kandy practice
When is one of the best time to go to Sri Lanka?
If you’re planning a visit to Sri Lanka, an important factor to think about is the timing of the 2 main monsoons, plus the inter-monsoonal interval between:
- Yala monsoon: April-September rains within the west/southwest coasts and the hill nation (together with Ella).
- Maha monsoon: November-March rains on the east coast.
- Inter-monsoonal: October/November heavy rainfall and thunderstorms can happen wherever throughout the island.
So, for journeys to the west/south coasts and importantly, this Ella to Kandy practice journey beginning within the hill nation, one of the best time to go to is unquestionably by the months of April, October and November.
What’s extra, by travelling within the shoulder and low seasons, you’ll be doing an important service to the locals as you’ll assist unfold the impression of vacationers and travellers on native locations.
Eager on discovering out extra? Try our itinerary for 8 days in Sri Lanka.
The way to get to Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is an island that’s situated in the midst of the Indian Ocean. So, the one viable strategy to get to Sri Lanka is by aircraft!
You’ll land at Bandaranaike Worldwide Airport, about 30km north of the capital Colombo. Be prepared for a sluggish journey into Colombo metropolis centre which may take over an hour. There’s a ton of congestion and travellers on this space, so be sure that to maintain that in thoughts!
Seek for flights to Sri Lanka right here.
The way to get to Ella?
The beautifully-named city of Ella or ‘waterfall’ is located about 200km east of Columbo within the district of Badulla. Surrounded by misty inexperienced hills, verdant tea plantations and hanging waterfalls, Ella is simply over 1000m above sea degree, and has a considerably cooler local weather than the lowlands.
Ella is in truth, one in every of Sri Lanka’s greatest locations to calm down and luxuriate in nature.
Now, in the case of travelling to Ella Sri Lanka, this picturesque location might be reached by street (bus, personal automotive/van with driver, shared taxi/minibus) from quite a few areas. You may as well get the practice from Colombo by way of Kandy if you wish to do that Sri Lanka practice journey in reverse, however this can be a lengthy day’s practice journey.
- Colombo – Ella: approx 5 hours by street; 327 km
- Galle/Mirissa – Ella: 3.5 hours by street; 200 km
- Uda Walawe Nationwide Park – Ella: 2 hours by street; 100 km
- Batticloa – Ella: 4.5 hours by street; 176km
- Colombo – Ella by public bus: c. 9 hours; take the bus heading to Badulla and get off at Kumbalwela junction. From right here, it’s a brief tuk-tuk or native bus trip to Ella.
- Uda Walawe – Ella by public bus: c. 3 hours. Take a bus from Uda Walawe to Thanamalwila then change for the bus to Ella. Some ready time; ask for assist to seek out the precise bus.
Greatest issues to do in Ella
There are many nice issues to do in and round Ella Sri Lanka, so that is only a taster of what’s to come back if you happen to spend a couple of days on this beautiful spot.
• Stroll to Ella Rock for views of Ella Hole and beautiful countryside (3-4 hours spherical journey).
• Take images galore on the iconic 9 Arch Bridge, an engineering feat to not be missed.
• Stroll as much as Little Adam’s Peak for views of Ella Rock and Ella Hole (2 hours spherical journey).
• Study to cook dinner Sri Lankan-style in one of many native cooking colleges.
• Try thundering Rawana Falls simply out of city by tuk-tuk on the street to Wellawaya.
The place to remain in Ella?
Two first rate mid-range choices embrace The Chillout, located in the beginning of the path to Little Adam’s Peak, only a quick stroll from the centre of Ella. Comfortable rooms, a tasty breakfast and a big balcony for these views.
Even nearer to the trailhead is the well-kept Ella Flower Backyard Resort, with a variety of well-appointed rooms and chalets to select from with TV and terrace. Beautiful gardens, nice views and an on-site restaurant.
If you wish to splash the money and keep within the midst of neatly spaced tea bushes, you would strive the 98 Acres Resort. You get fashionable luxurious rooms with swimming pool and in home spa plus fabulous views so that you can take pleasure in over your breakfast.
The place to eat in Ella?
One of many many perks of visiting Ella is the truth that it has quite a few good locations to eat and drink. Certainly, you would say that is the closest you’ll get to a little bit of (light) nightlife too!
We notably preferred Adam’s Breeze, a down-to-earth, pleasant place on the street to the path to Little Adam’s Peak. We extremely suggest that you simply strive the Kotthu Roti, curries and juices.
One of many nicest choices on the principle drag is unquestionably the Cafe Chill, which does every little thing from espresso to tasty native and Western dishes to a refreshingly chilly beer within the night.
Numerous folks eat at their visitor home or homestay, which is a superb choice for genuine Sri Lankan meals. Allow them to know prematurely if you wish to eat.
The way to get tickets for the Ella to Kandy practice?
There are a number of choices for securing your practice tickets in Sri Lanka and it is dependent upon how mounted your itinerary is and the way relaxed you might be about having a selected seat.
If you happen to prefer to ebook forward, one of many best methods to safe your most popular seat and sophistication of carriage is to ebook with 12goAsia and decide up your tickets once you arrive in Colombo. You possibly can solely ebook tickets for 37 days or extra prematurely by way of this route.
If you’re completely satisfied to decide once you arrive, you should buy tickets from any Sri Lankan practice station as much as 30 days earlier than you journey, both in Colombo or one other predominant station like Galle.
If you’re completely relaxed, you possibly can take your likelihood a lot nearer to the time, both the day you arrive in Ella and even the day of departure. The first and 2nd class will most certainly have offered out, however you should buy a 3rd class ticket (both reserved if potential, or unreserved that are uncapped) and take your possibilities.
Which practice class ought to I journey when in Sri Lanka?
We suggest journey in 2nd class reserved seats. We purchased the tickets on arrival in Colombo a few week forward, met native households travelling in 2nd class, had entry to coach distributors for snacks and didn’t have to face, which meant we may benefit from the surroundings and calm down!
What are the practice occasions for the Ella to Kandy practice?
The primary practice within the morning from Ella leaves at 6.40am and arrives in Kandy simply after 1pm. You would go for this feature if you happen to’re late to purchase tickets and/or eager to see probably the most scenic a part of the route within the early morning. Simply beware the morning mist and fog, which could imply you don’t see what you have been hoping for.
We might suggest the second departure at 9.24am, arriving in Kandy simply earlier than 4pm. The sunshine was nice throughout probably the most scenic part of the route from Ella by to Haputale and on to Nanu-Oya. There have been loads of meals distributors on the practice for a lunchtime snack and we arrived in Kandy at an ideal afternoon time to examine in and get our bearings earlier than solar set.
You possibly can examine extra practice occasions and choices on the Sri Lankan Railways web site.
What to search for on the Ella to Kandy practice journey
There are round 20 stops in whole between Ella and Kandy, however relying in your practice, you received’t name at each cease. A full route map might be discovered right here. You’ll both be on a blue or purple practice relying on the service you’re taking. The journey ought to take round 7 hours barring any mechanical points.
- Ella to Haputale | The primary part from Ella by to Haputale is especially attractive, as you slowly transfer alongside the slender ridge and thru the misty hills and velvet blanket of inexperienced forest. Look out for landmarks like Ella Rock and the native waterfalls.
- Haputale to Nanu-Oya | From Haputale, you begin to transfer into full-on tea plantation nation. Preserve your eyes peeled for tea factories and villages as you roll as much as Nanu–Oya, the cease for famed Nuwara Eliya, the retreat for the colonial tea growers. Rolling tea meadows, well-tended gardens and an air of colonial grandeur abound. You’ll additionally see a lot of the tea pickers of their vibrant saris, working arduous to get one of the best leaves
- Nanu-Oya to Hatton | The practice then leisurely makes its method in the direction of the tea capital of Hatton, traversing the beautiful Horton’s Plains (near the cease of Ohiya) on the best way. Preserve an eye fixed out for Adam’s Peak amongst the views of untamed grasslands, waterfalls and lakes.
- Hatton to Kandy | The part from Hatton to Kandy has fewer sights, however the views of misty inexperienced hill nation stay dreamily fairly till you attain the outskirts of Kandy, when the buildings come into sight and also you rejoin bustling Sri Lankan life at its most interesting.
Prime suggestions for the Ella to Kandy practice journey
• Ensure you’re in the precise spot in your carriage class on the station earlier than the practice goes (simply ask the station grasp) and don’t be too well mannered when the practice arrives, particularly if you happen to’re in third class. Be agency and assured and snag your seats.
• Convey your personal dry snacks and water to ensure you can graze for the size of the journey, particularly the early phases if you happen to didn’t handle to seize breakfast!
• Don’t be afraid to check out the road meals offered on the practice by skilled hawkers, akin to scrumptious fried dhal balls or vadai (deep fried doughnut-shaped snacks), nuts and fruit.
• Bear in mind to purpose to sit down on the left of the practice coming from Ella and on the precise if you happen to’re beginning your journey in Kandy. It’s additionally greatest to get your compulsory photograph from the open door early on, because it will get a lot busier when you get in the direction of Nanuoya.
• Benefit from the alternative to take as many photographs as you need, however don’t miss out on the expertise of being on the practice and having fun with the views for the pure pleasure of it!
• Retailer your backpacks and small luggage within the overhead racks if you happen to can. You probably have bigger circumstances, purpose to get them in behind the final row if seats or tucked into the doorway.
• Be prepared for the bogs. They’re nice, however they are going to be squat bogs and also you’ll want your personal bathroom paper and trusty hand sanitiser!
• Respect the locals: Take the possibility to work together with native households and people travelling on the practice, however be respectful. If you wish to take somebody’s photograph, ask politely and present them the outcomes.
Time to Journey Higher
To complete, shut your eyes as soon as extra. Drop your shoulders. Breathe. Pause. Mirror. It’s time to decelerate. To re-think journey. To journey higher. What higher place to begin than Sri Lanka’s Ella to Kandy practice trip – one of many biggest railway journeys on this planet.
Go to We’re the UnderTourists to pledge your dedication to journey higher.