Should you suppose La Union has nothing else to supply aside from browsing, you’re gravely mistaken! Elyu has a numerous set of wonders saved in its nooks and crannies. However should you’re staying in Urbiztondo in San Juan, one attraction that you just shouldn’t miss is Tangadan Falls!
La Union has over a dozen waterfalls unfold all through the province — from the mildly sloping Lang-ay Falls in Tubao as much as the little-known Occalong Falls in Luna. However maybe the most well-liked of those cascades is Tangadan Falls, tucked within the sleepy city of San Gabriel. Punctuating a portion of the Baroro River, this waterfall has two tiers, every with a pure pool on the base, surrounded by limestone cliffs and big boulders.
Tangadan Falls is situated in Barangay Amontoc within the mountainous space of San Gabriel, La Union. So step one is to get into La Union. This waterfall is just too far for a day journey straight from Manila, so most vacationers go to it as a part of a larger La Union itinerary. They normally ebook a resort or resort in both San Juan (notably Urbiztondo Seashore) or San Fernando Metropolis. From right here, you’ll be able to dedicate half a day to this waterfall.
Planning to go to Tangadan Falls quickly? Listed here are among the issues to know earlier than you go.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
1. Board a bus to San Fernando.
Should you’re coming from Metro Manila, the one transit corporations that we all know carry passengers to La Union straight are PARTAS and VIRON Transport (as of Could 2022). Each have terminals in Cubao. It’s also possible to discover La Union-bound buses at Viron’s Sampaloc Terminal.
Board a bus to San Fernando Metropolis or San Juan, relying on the place your lodging is situated. Most La Union buses terminate in San Fernando Metropolis.
Alternatively, should you’re staying elsewhere, you could catch a bus sure for Abra or Ilocos as an alternative and alight in San Juan or one other city in La Union. (Observe that NOT ALL buses enable this, so it’s necessary to ask a workers member earlier than reserving a ticket.)
For the schedule, fare and different necessary reminders, we wrote a devoted article right here: MANILA TO LA UNION BUS TRAVEL INFORMATION! ✅
In case you are bringing your individual automobile, simply use Google Maps or Waze, then search San Gabriel Municipal Corridor.
2. Experience a tricycle or jeepney to San Gabriel City Correct.
The journey time is about 45 minutes from San Fernando and about Half-hour from San Juan. Jeepney fare is between P15 and P20 pesos.
- Should you’re coming from San Fernando, head to Tanqui Transport Terminal to catch a jeepney.
- Should you’re coming from San Juan, go to Folks’s Park, situated simply throughout the San Juan Municipal Corridor.
A extra handy (however dearer) possibility: Hail a tricycle that can take you on to San Gabriel Municipal Corridor. Roundtrip fare begins at P500 should you’re solo, or extra should you’re a bunch. (We paid P800 for a celebration of three.) The driving force can look ahead to you on the city correct and take you again to your resort or resort after.
If you wish to profit from your day, prepare a mixed Tangadan Falls + Northern Tour (which features a go to to Immuki Island in Bacnotan and stone points of interest in Luna). Excursions like this vary from P1800 to P2000.
3. Pay the doorway charge on the Municipal Treasury Workplace.
The tricycle will drop you off round San Gabriel Municipal Corridor. It’s situated beside the Police Station on the junction.
Pay the environmental charge/entrance charge on the Municipal Treasury Workplace. The charge is P30 per individual.
“No Receipt, No Entry” rule is in impact. It’s possible you’ll be requested to current the official receipt when on the web site.
4. Rent a tour information.
Sure, it’s required. A “No Tour Information, No Entry” is in impact. You’ll discover the tour information station beside the police station.
Tour information charge is P500 per group. We weren’t capable of catch what number of members are allowed per group. However we have been a celebration of three and we have been thought of only one group.
5. Experience a habal-habal or jeepney to the trailhead.
Select between a habal-habal (bike) and a jeep.
- Habal-habal roundtrip fare is P400 per unit. A unit can accommodate as much as 2 passengers. If time is a matter or should you’re visiting early within the morning, that is the mode of transpo for you.
- Jeepney fare is round P150 per individual. Nevertheless it would possibly look ahead to extra passengers earlier than departing.
The journey time is 20-Half-hour.
6. Trek to the waterfall.
It’s a 15-20 minute hike down a largely concrete staircase to the waterfall. Nevertheless it nonetheless is determined by your tempo.
NOTE: The street resulting in the trailhead is slender and winding, and a few elements are steep. It’s fairly difficult in case you are not conversant in the street.
We even have a video model of this journey information right here:
- Swimming. Take a dip into the chilly freshwater of the Baroro River. In case you are not a assured swimmer, you’ll be able to hire a life vest or simply swim within the shallow elements. The mossy rocks are very slippery, so watch out.
- Cliff Diving. In case you are feeling adventurous, go cliff leaping! Test the drop level if there are swimmers under earlier than taking the plunge. Observe that the unique cliff leaping level is closed resulting from security causes, however you’ll be able to nonetheless leap from the decrease protruding rock close to the falls.
- Snap away. Take a number of images. This picturesque pure gem, with the encompassing limestone cliffs, makes for a shocking photograph backdrop.
Planning to spend just a few days in La Union? San Fernando and San Juan are the very best locations to ebook a resort. They’re each centrally situated, effectively linked, and near most points of interest. Listed here are among the properties obtainable on Agoda.
Beneath is a full-day itinerary that features a cease in Tangadan Falls. Observe that this assumes you’re staying in San Juan, like we did. You need to use this as a part of a much bigger La Union itinerary.
Tricycle tour for Tangadan Falls is P500 if solo, P800 should you’re a bunch of three. If you wish to additionally go to Luna and Immuki Island (after Tangadan Falls), mixed tricycle tour is P1800 to P2000.
In our case, all of us agreed to go to Tangadan Falls actually early to keep away from the group. We have been additionally a celebration of three, splitting among the prices.
05:30 AM – Tricycle to San Gabriel
06:00 AM – Rent tour information, P166.67/pax (P500/group)
06:10 AM – Pay Tangadan Falls entrance, P30
06:15 AM – Habal-habal trip, P200/pax (P400/bike)
06:45 AM – Get pleasure from Tangadan Falls
08:30 AM – Head again
09:00 AM – Settle Tangadan charges (should you nonetheless haven’t)
09:10 AM – Depart for Immuki Island
09:45 AM – Pay Immuki Island entrance charge, P20
09:55 AM – Lease raft, P83.33/pax (P250/raft)
11:00 AM – Fast bathe – P10
11:20 AM – Bahay na Bato, P50
12:20 PM – Bato de Luna, P50 entrance, P150 lunch
01:40 PM – Dessert at Lola Mending’s Cafe – P250
02:40 PM – Baluarte Watchtower
03:15 PM – Darigayos Seashore & Paraoir Forest fast cease
04:00 PM – Again to resort, relaxation, clean up
Should you’re a bunch of three, every traveler ought to anticipate to shell out only for this tour:
PhP 1677 – Tangadan Falls + Immuki Island + Luna Tour
PhP 664 – Tangadan Falls Solely
What are the working hours?
As of writing, guests are solely allowed inside these instances:
What are the bills? How a lot to funds?
Right here’s the abstract of the bills that you just would possibly anticipate.
- Bus fare: P505 to P800 (relying on bus firm and route)
- Tricycle fare (San Juan to San Gabriel): P500 for solo, P800 for group of three
- Environmental Payment: P30/head
- Tour Information Payment: P500 (good for as much as 5 pax)
- Habal-Habal Experience: P400 (Roundtrip)
- Life Vest Rental: P50. That is non-obligatory solely.
What are the journey necessities for La Union?
You’ll want a NAPANAM QR Code, amongst different necessities. The complete record of necessities is determined by your vaccination standing and the alert degree of the realm the place you’re coming from.
To clarify it higher, we created a separate article with extra particulars right here: LA UNION TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS for TOURISTS 2022
When is the very best time to go?
The cascades are robust in the course of the wet season, however some elements of the path get muddy. It’s greatest to go to two to 3 days after a rainfall. There’s a excessive probability of seeing twin cascades within the moist season, too. Nevertheless, verify the official announcement of the municipal’s tourism workplace or the Municipal Catastrophe Danger Discount and Administration Council for closure and warnings earlier than you go to.
If you wish to keep away from huge crowds, go to on a weekday. Should you can’t assist visiting on a weekend or vacation, attempt to be there early within the morning (like we did).
Are walk-in guests allowed?
Sure! However if you wish to safe your slot, you’ll be able to prepare for the tour a day or an evening earlier than your go to.
Is there a parking zone?
In case you are bringing your individual automobile, you could park on the jeepney terminal the place the tour information station can also be situated. However because it’s a public terminal, it’s essential be there early earlier than the slots are stuffed.
There’s additionally a parking house on the trailhead. We’re simply undecided if they permit non-public automobiles to drive all the way in which right here.
Do we actually want to rent a tour information?
No tour information, no entry.
Additionally, don’t overlook the official receipt (OR) issued by the Municipal Treasury Workplace.
The place to eat?
There’s a snack and memento stall on the trailhead’s parking space (the place the habal-habal and “monster” jeepneys park).
Is it senior- and kid-friendly?
However maybe not for seniors and undoubtedly not for these with mobility issues. The trek again to the jump-off level entails ascending trails and an extended flight of concrete steps. Though there are relaxation stops, it’d nonetheless be difficult for small children, seniors, and people with mobility points.
- Municipal Corridor: +63 (72) 687 0125 / 0916 479 6253
- San Gabriel Municipal Well being Workplace: +63 (72) 682 0504 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- San Gabriel Police Station: 0928 780 2268
- La Union Police Provincial Workplace: +63 (72) 607 5100 / 0977 844 4404
- La Union Coast Guard: +63 (72) 607 2877 / 0917 815 2012
- Provincial Catastrophe Danger Discount and Administration Workplace: 911 / 0945 283 5067
- La Union Bureau of Hearth Safety: +63 (72) 607 4066 / 0917 186 2711
- La Union Medical Heart: +63 (72) 607-5938 / 607 5541 to 45
- Aleng Pulis Hotline (for gender-based violence): +63 9197777377
- Tisya Hustisya (Free Authorized Recommendation for gender-based violence victims): Globe/TM, 09533826936; Sensible/TNT/Solar: 09510774412